Monday, March 13, 2023

Top 10 Things to Visit in Venice

In February 2023, I had the opportunity to visit Venice, Italy as a tourist. As soon as I stepped off the train and made my way towards the city center, I could feel the unique and captivating atmosphere that Venice has to offer. One of the first things I noticed was the quieter nature of the city during this time of year. The streets and canals were not crowded with tourists, allowing me to take in the sights and sounds at a more leisurely pace. It felt as though I had the city to myself, which made my experience all the more special.  

As I walked through the city, I couldn't help but marvel at the stunning architecture and the intricate details that adorn the buildings. The Gothic-style facades, ornate balconies, and colorful houses lining the canals created a picturesque scene that I will never forget. I also visited the famous St. Mark's Basilica, a stunning example of Byzantine architecture with its glistening mosaics and intricate marble floors. 





Top 10 Things to Visit in Venice

1. St. Mark's Basilica - This stunning cathedral is an iconic symbol of Venice and features incredible Byzantine architecture.
2. Grand Canal - Take a water taxi or gondola ride down this famous waterway for spectacular views of the city's architecture and landmarks.
3. Rialto Bridge - One of Venice's most recognizable landmarks, the Rialto Bridge spans the Grand Canal and offers excellent views of the city.
4. Doge's Palace - This impressive palace was once the center of Venetian political power and features ornate artwork and stunning architecture.
5. Gallerie dell'Accademia - This art museum contains a wealth of Renaissance masterpieces by artists such as Bellini, Tintoretto, and Titian.


6. Peggy Guggenheim Collection - This modern art museum features an impressive collection of 20th-century works by artists such as Jackson Pollock and Salvador Dali.
7. Torcello Island - A short boat ride from Venice, Torcello is home to ancient ruins, stunning Byzantine mosaics, and a peaceful, rural atmosphere.
8. Murano Island - Famous for its glassmaking tradition, Murano offers visitors the chance to see artisans at work and purchase beautiful glassware.
9. San Giorgio Maggiore - This stunning church, designed by Andrea Palladio, offers stunning views of Venice from its bell tower.
10. Teatro La Fenice - This historic opera house has been beautifully restored and offers a variety of performances throughout the year.

I also visited the Rialto Bridge, one of the most iconic landmarks in Venice that spans across the Grand Canal. From here, I was able to take in the breathtaking views of the city and watch the boats pass by. At an nearby gelato shop I tasted a really great vanilla and strawberry gelato. So good!




Aside from the beauty of Venice, the city also has a rich and fascinating history. I learned about the powerful Venetian Republic and how it once controlled trade routes across the Mediterranean, becoming one of the wealthiest and most influential cities in Europe. I also learned about the city's decline in the 18th century and how it struggled to adapt to the changing times. This history added a deeper layer of understanding to the city's allure and made my visit all the more meaningful.

Overall, my visit to Venice was a truly special experience. The quieter nature of the city allowed me to take in the sights and sounds at a more leisurely pace and appreciate the beauty and history of this unique city. I will always treasure my memories of Venice and hope to return one day to experience it all over again. More from my Italy Road Trip in the next post.


Thank you all for joining me in another week of "Through My Lens". I am looking forward to your submissions this week. I hope you will have a great start into the new week!   

Now I want to see what you have been up to. Link down below and share with the rest of us!

What "Through my lens" is about

This meme is about sharing your favorite blog post with the rest of us. The themes are open, there is only one rule: the images have to be taken by you. I want to see your photography!

How this Photo meme Works

1. Share your favorite post under the linkup button below and follow the instructions there
2. Only share the url of your post, not the url of your main page
3. In your post link back to this post of "Through my lens" and visit others! 

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

Please share this link-up with the image below.  

 
Or simply copy/paste this code in the HTML of your post


5 comments:

  1. Another great post--- with some of your famous night shots to really put the icing on the cake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mersad Your beautiful photos bring back many memories of visiting Venice many years ago. The evening images are spectacular. Thanks for hosting and I hope you have a wonderful week ahead

    ReplyDelete
  3. Venice is among my favorite cities! I hope to visit it again one day and see an opera there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a great time in Venice. It would be fun to go back to see if anything has changed in nearly 60 years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh I loved our 2 day stop over in Venice. So not long enough! But so far for us to go back again. Ah Venice! happy and safe travels and thankyou again for the linkup.

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe

Image Credits

All Rights are Reserved. The images may not be reproduced, copied, transmitted or manipulated without the written permission of the author.