Sunday, August 25, 2013

Game of Thrones Location Photos in Dubrovnik and Lokrum

I don't know if anyone here watches HBO's Game of Thrones, most likely you are, since it's so popular right now, and if you do, you might know that they shoot parts of the show in Croatia, mainly Dubrovnik and it's surrounding area. I recently took upon watching the show and noticed a lot of locations, that I had actually visited and have photos of. Mainly it's about the Old Town of Dubrovnik, but also the nearby island Lokrum, where a big storyline in Season 2 was shot.

If you have not watched the show, you can enjoy these photos as they are. But if you are familiar with the show you will also be familiar with the images that follow.

This post contains no spoilers from the show if you watch! You can click on the images for a bigger view.

First I'll show you a shot of Fort Bokar, which was the key point in the defense of the Pila Gate in real life. In the show it was used for scenes in the Blackwater Episode from Season 2.


And here is a shot of the St. Lawrence Fortress, that doubles as King's Landing in Season 2 and 3 in the show.


Of course in the show they do a great job of digitally enhancing the fortification, making it fit the fantasy world that they have created. Here is a shot from the show:


They use the inside of the old town of Dubrovnik as the streets of King's Landing. Some shots are actually done without any CGI (computer generated images). Because the old town is so well kept they can literately move the camera 360 degrees. Of course they make sure to dirty it up sometimes, and to dress the actual old town to make it fit. Here is a scene from the show.


This was shot right at the entrance of the old town. This next scene was taken inside the walls.


Here are those locations in real life.





Here they dressed up an old alley to be an even older and dirtier path in King's Landing:


In this next shot you'll see the old town. This was taken from the walls. You can see how much they enhance in the show, but the basic structure is there.


The Island Lokrum doubled as the city Qarth and they used the old fortification on that island for the House of the Undying in the Season 2 Finale. You can reach the island with a boat in 5 minutes from the Dubrovnik harbor. Although most of the scenes of the city Qarth itself are completely digital, some of the garden scenes were filmed in the botanical gardens on Lokrum and in the Former Benedictine monastery.

Here is a shot from the show:


Here are some location photos from Lokrum:




The do shoot a lot in the botanical gardens in Lokrum, but also the botanical garden surrounding the Old Town of Dubrovnik. First is a scene from the show which was shot in the monastery on Lokrum, and then some shots of the gardens of Dubrovnik and Lokrum.


 A back view of the monastery:


 The gardens:




I hope you enjoyed this journey through Dubrovnik and Lokrum. Please let me know what you think of this in the comments below. Thanks for watching and reading.

25 comments:

  1. We don't subscribe to HBO, so have never seen Game of Thrones. It looks like they have found the perfect setting for the show though. Your photos are terrific and it was fun to see and read about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you anyway for reading and commenting. :)

      Delete
  2. I've not heard of the show, but I've certainly enjoyed your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant photographs. I once visited Dubrovnik but only a passing visit since we were on a cruise. It's a fabulous part of the world and perfect for a photographer such as yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a nice part of the world, and there are many other places along the Adriatic coast worth visiting. Thank you!

      Delete
  4. Hello Mersad,

    I am your new follower right now and I love your blog very, very much.

    I watched the Game of Thrones but I didn't know that they shoot some parts of the show in Croatia. That was a surprise. Pictures are breathtaking! They brought to me nice memories of this show. And I couldn't take my eyes from a very narrow street (picture 10). It's so captivating.

    Great photography and a wonderful and very interesting blog!

    Greetings from Kaya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kaya and welcome to my blog. I'll make sure to visit yours too. The show will shoot the 4th Season in Dubrovnik too. Maybe I'll snatch some new imagery then. :)

      Delete
  5. i do watch game of thrones. that's neat to see where it is filmed.

    thanks for finding my place and leaving a comment! really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think the also shoot in Iceland, Ireland, UK, Malta and Morocco, among others.

      Delete
  6. I always wondered where they found the perfect locations -- thanks so much for the photos and information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know myself until I saw the show and recognized that I had been there! :)

      Delete
  7. I don't watch that show (I don't even know if it's on here), but your pictures are certainly impressive! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have not seen it, but i do like what i see here. my favorite of your photos here today is the old wall with the twisted tree. i like rustic gardens and stones and things that are old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This garden is very spacial since it's build around old ruins! Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  9. When I first started to watch Game of Thrones I was not sure I would like. But as It progressed I fell in love with the characters and the locales. These shots are marvelous. I may even watch it again. I watched it on my Kindle. Amazing.
    Peggy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you like the show. I wasn't sure myself in the start, but got hooked as you! :)

      Delete
  10. Very nice information. The game of thrones season 7 is much better than game of thrones season 6. I am really excited to watch this episodes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow nice images, i like it. thanks for sharing game of thrones tv show images. I m big fan of game of thrones show. Today I watch game of thrones season 7 HD trailer with help for this website

    ReplyDelete
  12. "You're going to be sent to Coventry if you're not careful." That was the threat if you stepped out of line in my youth. If you're sent to Coventry you're going to be ignored by everyone. I never knew or understood why Coventry was the unfortunate location for all those disgraced and in exile. visit website

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have outdone yourself this time. It is probably the best, most short step by step guide that I have ever seen. wow boost

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Everyone,

    Welcome to the future! Financing made easy with Prof. Mrs. DOROTHY LOAN INVESTMENTS

    Have you been looking for financing options for your new business plans, Are you seeking for a loan to expand your existing business, Do you find yourself in a bit of trouble with unpaid bills and you don’t know which way to go or where to turn to? Have you been turned down by your banks? MRS. DOROTHY LOAN INVESTMENTS says YES when your banks say NO. Contact us as we offer financial services at a low and affordable interest rate of 2% for long and short term loans. Interested applicants should contact us for further loan acquisition procedures via profdorothyinvestments@gmail.com

    Services rendered include:

    * Refinancing Loans
    * Car Loan
    * Truck Loans
    * COVID-19 Financing Loan
    * Home Loan
    * Mortgage Loan
    * Debt Consolidation Loan
    * Farm Loan
    * Business Loan [secure and unsecured]
    * Personal Loan [secure and unsecured]
    * Students Loan and so many others.

    For more info; Contact us via Email: profdorothyinvestments@gmail.com

    With Prof. Mrs. DOROTHY LOAN INVESTMENTS. you can say goodbye to all your financial crisis and difficulties as we are certified, trustworthy, reliable, efficient, fast and dynamic

    ReplyDelete
  15. Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting? I'm pleased I discovered it though, ill be checking back soon to find out what additional posts you include. boost faceit

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe

Image Credits

All Rights are Reserved. The images may not be reproduced, copied, transmitted or manipulated without the written permission of the author.