Sunday, June 24, 2018

My Solo Journey through the Pacific Northwest! [15/18]


Alone. I was truly all alone in Seattle as Selma boarded her plane back to Europe and I stood at the parking lot trying to figure out where I parked my car. Everything is easier when you are together. So I braved my way to the Ramada Hotel at the airport where I would spend my first night in the USA alone. I booked a room on the third floor and felt very safe. Selma and I had a early start into that day, and the airport hustle was a chore, so I was actually very tired and didn't do much on that first night. I did drive around to a nearby mall and BestBuy, bought some gifts and had dinner. My solo journey through the Pacific Northwest actually started the next day, when I left the hotel in the morning, ready to venture out into the unknown...




A Return to Snoqualmie

As a big Twin Peaks fan I had to return to North Bend and Snoqualmie which were on my way  to Richland, WA, my ultimate destination for that day. I actually went back to some locations I didn't really get to capture properly on the day, Selma and I visited. I returned to the famous Snoqualmie waterfall and the Salish Lodge hotel. There weren't that many people there on this day and I also made a hike down to the river, which leads through some amazing woods. Some nice people took my photo at the falls, something I wasn't used asking before.





In the town of Snoqualmie

Before we actually didn't have a chance to visit the town center of Snoqualmie, so that was something left on my list. The name Snoqualmie is derived from the Lushootseed name sdukalbix, generally interpreted to mean "ferocious people", a name applied by another Coast Salishan people in reference to the Snoqualmie people. The most prominent sight is the Northwest Railway Museum which features historic trains and train tracks not being used today. So I could walk on them safely and the the images below. I also loved the small gazebo in the town center surrounded by the blooming trees.












The Northwest Railway Museum

The Northwest Railway Museum was founded in 1957 as the Puget Sound Railway Historical Association and took its current name in September 1999. The mission of the organization is to develop and operate a railway museum where the public can see and understand the role of railroads in the development of the Pacific Northwest, and experience the excitement of a working railroad. The museum's collection also includes a variety of railway cars and locomotives that document that development of the railway in Washington from the 1880s through the 1960s. It also includes a 3,000-volume library and archives that focus on the history of railroads in the Northwest, and on technical and other engineering aspects of railroading.




Eastbound towards Richland

As I crossed the mountains in the west, I entered desert like land in the east of Washington State. It was a very monotone car drive and I didn't pass through my cities in the east. I did stop at one gas station for water and a mall along the way for lunch. I was headed for my aunt's place in Richland, where my mom was staying during the two weeks I was on the road trip. More on Richland and what I did there in the next post.



End of Part Fifteen
To be continued...


16 comments:

  1. Good set of images. I do enjoy looking at B&W.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, allein :-O würde es mir keinen Spaß machen, ich muß meine Eindrücke sofort mit jemandem teilen können, ich muß Partner haben, alleine würde ich nie losfahren.
    Liebe Grüße

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am thinking Selma is sorry she missed all this beauty... I would not do well or be happy on a trip alone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did get to see some beautiful sights.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Before I was married, I did two solo road trips out west and at least two to Florida. I had a very good time and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Now, though, after being married more than 30 years and sharing numerous travels with Doug, the thought of traveling alone does not sound enticing. I can imagine the strangeness you must have felt after having the companionship of others on all your other trips to the USA. You have some beautiful images here. Surprisingly (to me), my favorite was the black and white of the waterfall and hotel. I'm not usually that big a fan of black and white images.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was strange, but luckily I was traveling towards family so in the end it did work out. So glad you enjoyed the b/w image. It somehow sticks out to me as a favorite as well.

      Delete
  6. You made me want to visit Snoqualmie again---- We haven't been there for many years.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry you lost your traveling companion, but your photography did not suffer. Obviously this area was has a major logging history from the mural in town and the huge log displayed in the park. I do enjoy your travels.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That had to be very strange for you to be out alone taking pictures when you are so used to sharing everything at the time. Great shots, though, as usual. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing place and Loved all pics.
    Keep sharing. Safe travel

    ReplyDelete
  10. I could kick myself! We ate a picnic lunch in that town on our drive last September, and somehow didn't go to the Falls, how dumb of us.
    Your black and white shots are fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you'll have opportunity to visit again. The falls are truly mesmerizing.

      Delete
  11. Hello, I love the waterfalls. Snoqualmie is a cute town. Lovely photos and post. Happy Monday, enjoy your day and week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  12. There is such a huge change between western Washington and Central/Eastern(same with Oregon). We’re very familiar with both sides of the “divide” but never cease to marvel at the difference. You saw a part of Washington State where few tourists venture.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Although making a solo journey is great and many travellers love to go on a solo travel to enjoy the whole trip lonely. Thanks for the nice travel post.
    cheap Luton airport parking

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe

Image Credits

All Rights are Reserved. The images may not be reproduced, copied, transmitted or manipulated without the written permission of the author.