Friday, March 6, 2015

The Road Less Traveled: Images and Stories from the Road

I read somewhere that a good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving. That certainly holds true in most cases, as well as the old notion that it's not about the destination, but the journey. So in that sense I wanted to share some images from routes and roads, paths and streets, that ultimately depict the love for "getting there" as opposed to "arriving".

click on the images for a bigger view

1. A Mountain Road

As the mountain road began to wind down, and curve alongside the cliffs and hills, the sun began to set somewhere in the distance. I opened the car windows to let the air in, and immediately a fresh breeze swept up the scents of the woods and brought them to me. Somehow, here in the wild, everything fell into place, and the feeling of belonging immediately took over.

2. Out of the Woods

Ultimately, the road we travel on, means nothing if there is no destination to be reached. I always feel that there should be something that we travel towards to, even though we may not know what that is. I took this shot in the Hutovo Blato Nature Resort, during my first visit there. I loved wandering through these woods, and just keep on moving forward, trying to see it all.

3. On the Railroad

I have often said that I love the railroad and trains. It has been a love of mine from my early childhood years. Even today, when I get the opportunity to capture railroads I gladly do it. I love how the tracks are always leading into the distance, clearly marking a path through the landscapes.

4. Around the Corner

The sounds of the crashing Kravice waterfalls could be heard miles away. Even though I hadn't seen them yet, I knew what was waiting for me around the corner. The narrow, beaten down path, I walked on, was wet from all the water that was getting there in the form of mist. I noticed the trees in the waterbed that were sticking out, trying to fight the current. Getting there was certainly an experience in this place.

5. In the Countryside

Not all travels are enjoyable. There seem to be times, when you just want to arrive and travel no more. I guess it did hold true during our outing to the countryside of Bivolje Brdo. But it wasn't because of the lack of beauty of interesting sights, but because of the humid weather we had that day. Almost like in a jungle, the hot temperatures started to lift the water from the nearby trees and bushes that were sprinkled with freshly fallen rain. The village seemed far away from this spot...

6. The Stories of the Walls

When you visit ancient buildings or streets (like we did in Split recently), you can't help but wonder: what have these walls seen or who has traveled before me in these places. Emerging from the dark corridors of the old town of Split, and entering into the open space felt like a resurrection. I stayed on this path for a long time, gazing at the doors and windows around me, wondering about possibilities.

7. A Search for the Destination

Autumn is my favorite season. When the leaves turn color, and fresh air pushes the hot summer climate away, nature begins a glorious transformation. One that is ultimately reflected in the theme of this post. We know winter is ahead, but don't really want to arrive there just yet. 


Thank you all for stopping by. I wish you a great weekend ahead!



36 comments:

  1. So true mersad. Wonderful post with gorgeous images from your travels.. Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post, stunning pictures and great to read about your experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The destination depends upon the journey; sometimes it's okay to ramble but other times, time is important. Your photos are varied and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting post with beautiful images.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous images of your travels Mersad, the 'story of the walls' shot is divine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. always love your landscapes, but that 'walls' shot is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked the one of the walls, a brilliant shot of darkness into light.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Superb captures as always, Mersad, and like the others I think the "walls" shot is awesome! Enjoying your captures every day is the next best thing to being there myself!! Thank you for sharing! Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice series of photos! I enjoyed them all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So true, enjoy the journey and look at everything. All these images are superb. Love the winding roads which leave us wondering what is around the corner. I love the depth of field you achieved in the arch shot. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A very enjoyable post as always Mersad. You made the comment "Ultimately, the road we travel on, means nothing if there is no destination to be reached." Whilst I agree with what (I think) you were getting at sometimes it is just very pleasant to travel and savour the experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course. I think this post largely speaks of just that. Enjoying the "getting there" as opposed to "arriving".

      Delete
  12. they are all pretty and all different. i like the path through the stone walls and i love trains to. the rushing water took me back to when i was 12 and we lived on the bank of a creek like that, when the snow melted and spring rains came, the water looked just like that with trees floating in it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a really vivid memory. I bet it must have been a great sight.

      Delete
  13. The railroad shot intrigues me. A mode of travel I have yet to experience.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely places to visit...:) Have a good day

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful scenes. I love travelling down country roads with no special destination in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Stunning images Mersad. My brother-in-law served with the Canadian Forces in Bosnia... he said it was a very beautiful country... your photos show that. I love them all, especially "Around the Corner".... it would make a beautiful painting! Have a great weekend :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Donna. Glad your brother remembers Bosnia as a beautiful country.

      Delete
  17. Those photos are superb but my favourite is the one taken in Split.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the tracks, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Rado bih na jedan od tvojih prikazanih puteva . Dobar vikend zelim!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fine images, as they always are. The stone walls in Split really attract me.

    ReplyDelete
  21. So stunning! Like several others here, the Split photo just captivates me! Really wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I couldn't agree more, traveling is more about the journey than the destination. Nice group of images!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful scenery, Mersad.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Such gorgeous colours in every photo. Wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
  25. take a road to nowhere...
    wonderful pics
    Ciao
    Stefano

    ReplyDelete
  26. Every week I so look forward to seeing your blog, Mersad. I really liked the walls telling stories idea.
    JM, IL-U.S.A.

    ReplyDelete
  27. It's always fun to travel with you through your photographs rather on the way or reaching the destination...These shots are beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
  28. Those would be some awesome stories if the walls could talk! All your paths are great in this post.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I like Robert Frost's poem, the road less traveled by.

    ReplyDelete
  30. These are all wonderful. It makes me long to travel to so many places.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Das sind wundervolle Landschaftsbilder. Sie ziehen einen direkt hinein und machen neugierig, was am Ende des Weges auf einen wartet. Danke für diese kleine Reise.
    Liebe Grüße
    Gusta

    ReplyDelete
  32. These photos are beautiful. I love the way you sequence your pictures.

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe

Image Credits

All Rights are Reserved. The images may not be reproduced, copied, transmitted or manipulated without the written permission of the author.