Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Exploring the Seaside Town Kotor

My cousin Azra recently visited the old seaside town Kotor. I lent her my camera so she could take some good quality images there (she also has the photography bug), and bring them back to me. After editing them, I chose a couple to show you in this post. I hope you will enjoy the images and stories from this quaint little town along the Adriatic Coastline in the country Montenegro. I also included a Google Map in the post so that potential visitors can easily roam the map and explore the place further. I hope this helps. Let me know if I should do this for all my travel posts.

Photos by: Azra Delic; Edited by: Mersad Donko


click on the images for a bigger view
and zoom in and out of the map to explore the region




How to get to Kotor

The first couple of images (2-4), have not been taken in Kotor, but on the way there. You can take the Adriatic motorway that will lead you to Kotor (via a ferry), or take a tour around the bay and stray from the usual path to explore the region further. The town in these images is called Perast, and just like Kotor, it is small and picturesque. Upon entering Montenegro be prepared to pay a one-way road toll in the sum of 3 Euro (which you will also have to pay when you exit the country). The roads are ok, but nothing to write home about. The ferry departs regularly from Lepetane and arrives in Kamenari. Tivat Airport is 5 kilometres (3.1 mi) away, and there are regular flights to Belgrade, Moscow and Paris and dozens of charter planes land daily on Tivat airport during the summer season.



About Kotor

Kotor has been fortified since the early Middle Ages, when Emperor Justinian built a fortress above the city in 535. The old Mediterranean port of Kotor is surrounded by fortifications built during the Venetian period. Kotor has one of the best preserved medieval old towns in the Adriatic and is a UNESCO world heritage site.

Kotor is home to numerous sights, such as the Cathedral of Saint Tryphon in the old town (built in 1166), and the ancient walls which stretch for 4.5 km (3 mi) directly above the city.


In recent years, Kotor has seen a steady increase in tourists, many of them coming by cruise ship. Visitors are attracted both by the natural beauty of the Gulf of Kotor and by the old town of Kotor.




The Old City

The outer walls, even though impressive by themselves, don't look like they hold much inside. But you would be wrong in that assumption. Once you enter the old town, through the gates, you will be welcomed to the most charming sights. From old narrow streets, corners with cafes and restaurants as well as little squares. Each corner holds something interesting, so be sure to grab a guide map at the entrance so that you can explore each part of the old town.







Kotor is definitively a place that will hold your attention, and is surely worth a daily visit if you happen to summer in Montenegro's bigger cities such as Herceg Novi or Budva, or even if you are staying in Dubrovnik, Croatia.


I hope you enjoyed these. Let me know what you think of Kotor in the comments below.

35 comments:

  1. Hello Mersad, your cousin took some beautiful shots of this old seaside town. It is beautiful, I love the fortress! The views of the water and the mountains. Lovely post, thanks for sharing. Have a happy week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The last shot is wonderful. Cruise ships are awful things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ich sehne mich sehr nach dieser südlichen Stimmung, danke für die tollen Bilder. Liebe Grüße

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danke dir. Freut mich das die südliche Stimmung gefällt.

      Delete
  4. What a picturesque place!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am now thinking if i could visit one place in your country Kotor would be it.. those old walls and ancient buildings are just amazing to me. it seems photography skills run in your family, these are all wonderful. i went through the slide show slowly twice...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kotor is not in Bosnia and Herzegovina, but in the country Montenegro (see map), but it's only a 3 hour drive from where I live.

      Delete
  6. love the stonework and the gorgeous mountains.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Was für ne coole Stadt und Gegend! Und Azra hat die gleichen Fotogene wie du ! Well done, Azra!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sie ist meine Cousine, muss wohl in den Genen liegen. :) Danke Anne!

      Delete
  8. What a fantastic old city!! I do love the stonework and mountains, too!! I would love to spend some time there, but fortunately, your photos are the next best thing, Mersad!! Another wonderful post and awesome captures!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Azra has done an amazing job with your camera. So many wonderful photos. I especially liked the last one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very picturesque city. Lovely photos

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, your pictures show me that this is a photographer's dream trip. How I would love to have tagged along with you to see and photograph all these beautiful and historic scenes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a pretty town, and your photographs are excellent, as per usual!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a city I had never heard of and I was totally blown away by the beauty in your photos. That one photo of the city, waterfront and the tower in the background is breathtaking. I can see that is a place where a photographer would be in heaven. When I see such well preserved ancient places like this I always wonder what residents all those thousands of years ago would think if they could see these places now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A fabulous, old city. I also really like the water shots.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a gorgeous place! Thanks for the views.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh ja, hat mir wieder gefallen und ich konnte es genießen.

    Liebe Grüsse

    N☼va

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous and captivating, Mersad!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your cousin did a good job. It looks like a very beautiful old city and I really would like to visit one day.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Another place I'd love to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Another place I'd love to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's beautiful! Thanks for showing this.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you for including the map. When you started posting to Nature Notes, I realized how uneducated I am about this part of the world and have been soaking up the information from your posts and then looking on a map myself. I would love to tour the area for the middle ages history,but the water is beautiful too. I am only imagine how long it must have taken to build those structures back then and they are still here today.. Amazing...Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Michelle. Really glad you found the map useful and that these posts evoked an interest in this area.

      Delete
  23. Absolutely breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Mersad,
    I liked the old as well as the new portions of the town.
    I am always amazed at the brilliant colors of the water - like emerald.
    The photos are superb and I love the commentary, which is almost like reading a travel book.
    May be that's what you are working towards :)
    Have a Beautiful Day!
    Peace :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enojyed the images and the writing. Don't know about that book though :)

      Delete
  25. My son always says how beautiful that part of the world is (and he sees a lot of it) and it's seeing photos like that which make me want to make the effort and go there.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I've had yet another look at those photos and realised that there are so many of them and parts of them that I could gaze at for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a wonderful ancient place! I'm so glad you shared these shots, as I doubt I'll ever get to see it for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  28. A fascinating place! She did a good job (but doesn't have your magic touch...don't tell her!)

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe

Image Credits

All Rights are Reserved. The images may not be reproduced, copied, transmitted or manipulated without the written permission of the author.