Friday, January 20, 2017

Frozen Jablanica Lake

As I have said in previous posts this month, wintertime as been unusually harsh to us. Sunny winter days are mostly gone, and are replaced with moody skylines which color the landscapes grey. During a recent drive to the court in Konjic, I stopped by the Jablanica Lake which is usually picture perfect. This the the situation was a bit different. The (artificial) lake is almost completely drained, almost reduced to a river in parts.

The little bits of water that are still flowing through the deep basin are mostly frozen, creating an eerie atmosphere, but also interesting landscape images.



I stopped my car alongside the road on a surface mostly covered with ice in order to get on a bridge. I don't recommend doing that in ice, but I felt a bit adventurous. The footpath of the bridge was mostly covered in ice, so I had to be extra careful not to slip (especially in my dress shoes) which are slippery to begin with.




I was walking mostly from one side of the bridge to the other to take the photos. My little excursion didn't last long as I walked out of the car only in my suit, which didn't offer much protection from the dooming cold.



Snow started falling in Konjic. Shown above is the Cuprija bridge in the old part of the town. My court session didn't last long so I had some time to walk through the city in the morning and take these photos. I think my main goal was to get back home to Mostar before more snowfall would cover the rest of the country. Luckily for me I got back home before any real new snow could hinder me.



How is winter treating you guys?


15 comments:

  1. Mersad, great winter post. I did not expect to find snow and ice in your photos. Be careful driving on ice. Cars can go out of control before you can react. Slowing down is the secret. Better to take longer, but arrive safely. Odd this lake should have drained away. Hope it fills this spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a artificial lake, being drained by a huge water dam nearby. I also hope that once the snow melts it fill the lake back up.

      Delete
  2. Wow amazing place. Loved all pics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful winter photos, hope the sun comes back for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. we had the hottest summer on record and are having a really warmer than usual winter. nothing like our usual winter. the photos are beautiful, and it looks like maybe you have had a drought also for all the water to be gone like that. it makes beautiful art. and I like the town pics to

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stark beauty! The first bridge photo is really beautiful!
    Here in the mid-south part of the United States (north Mississippi), Winter is cold but we have more rain than snow, and we are thankful for that. Other parts of the country are having blizzard conditions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As usual you have captured the landscape with so much finesse. Our California winter has been unusually wet; which thankfully with one winter has apparently ended the 6-year drought here in the SF Bay Area.

    Worth a Thousand Words

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely place to see through your lens!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You captured some great shots in spite of winter grayness. Number 5 is my favorite. I can't really say why. It just caught my eye more than the others. But, really, you don't know how to take a bad photo. (I could give you lessons.) I've been meaning to tell you how much I like your new blog layout. It's really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wunderschöne Landschaftfotos hast du uns gezeigt und du bist auch ein fescher Kerl! ;-) Liebe Grüße

    ReplyDelete
  10. I appreciate you risking life and limb to get these photos!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the bridge shot--- but you look a bit under-dressed for the cold.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful even in winter! Here in S California, we are FINALLY getting some rain (actually, a lot of rain!).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Interesting shots! We've had very little snow this winter.

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe

Image Credits

All Rights are Reserved. The images may not be reproduced, copied, transmitted or manipulated without the written permission of the author.