Monday, May 13, 2019

Old Town of Stolac [Through My Lens Nr. 191]

The Old Town of Stolac (Vidoški grad) covers area of 20,503 square meters and is one of the largest old towns in Bosnia and Herzegovina. It used to have thirteen towers in the 17th century and it was one of the best-fortified towns in Herzegovina. It comprises ten walls, a flour storage room, residential buildings and a mosque. The mosque suffered destruction in 1906. The remains of the wall indicated the method of building the oldest mosques in Bosnia and Herzegovina.

Late antique substructures have been found on the northern side of the town (towers I-IV). The main structure of the ramparts consists of walls built in layers using the opus incertum construction technique, typical of the 4th century in this region. The ground plan of this late antique fortification shows the elements of Greek building in the Hellenist tradition. Vidoški grad was first mentioned in the charter dates 19 February 1444, as the property of Stjepan Vukčić Kosača.




Thank you all for joining me in another week of "Through My Lens". I am looking forward to your submissions this week. I hope you will have a good one!

Now I want to see what you have been up to. Link down below and share with the rest of us!
 

What "Through my lens" is about

This meme is about sharing your favorite blog post with the rest of us. The themes are open, there is only one rule: the images have to be taken by you. I want to see your photography!

How this Photo meme Works

1. Share your favorite post under the linkup button below and follow the instructions there
2. Only share the url of your post, not the url of your main page
3. In your post link back to this post of "Through my lens" and visit others!

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

Please share this link-up with the image below.  
 
Or simply copy/paste this code in the HTML of your post



6 comments:

  1. I enjoyed seeing these pictures--- a marvelous old town. I hope all is well there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is Bill. Thank you for your comment.

      Delete
  2. Amazing town. So beautiful pics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is so much beauty in the world and you captured some of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just gorgeous. I really know little about that area. It's quite beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a beautiful place and I loved learning about it.

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe

Image Credits

All Rights are Reserved. The images may not be reproduced, copied, transmitted or manipulated without the written permission of the author.