Thursday, April 17, 2014

Above the City [Part 1/3]: The Great Plains

I am very excited to present to you this new series called "Above the city". Not only, will I be showing you parts of my country that I haven't photographed previously, but I will also be showing parts that I haven't visited before, which is always great. 

What's more, venturing so far up into the surrounding mountains of Mostar, wasn't really our goal on this day, but as we took a turn from the main road that goes through the city, we just couldn't stop driving. The great plains were calling us, and we kept driving. In this series I want to show you the sights along the way.

This is a multi-part series. Other parts include:
Part One: The Great Plains
Part Two: Mountain Velez
Part Three: Return into the Valley

click on the images for a bigger view

After a 15 minute drive up the hills, we reached our first stop point. From here you could see Mostar in the distance, as well as the mountains and hills on the other side of the city.


But what proved to be a more exciting view, was the one we got when we turned around. The great plains were in front of us, with the mountain Velez far in the distance. We had a drop in temperature recently, and fresh snow was to be seen on the mountain tops.


A picture of my friend Selma in front of the plains and mountain. Before you ask, we didn't take a single picture of me and there is a good reason for that. As you will undoubtedly notice in Selma's hair, the wind was strong. Actually, not only was it strong, it was furious. We had to return to the car for some time before venturing out again. So I had my hands full with holding the camera and tripod.


I found this pyramid shaped stone sculpture next to the road, but have no idea what the significance of it is.



The other side of the valley was equally exciting, with lots of clouds rolling into the landscape.




I wonder where this road will take you. We stayed on the paved road, and didn't venture into the plains, but it sure looked inviting. 



The windy atmosphere is most apparent in the clouds, which came rushing into the landscape, and leaving again soon, constantly changing shapes and sizes.



A view back into the Mostar valley, with the long and winding road, curving in the landscape.



A lonely weather station, far in the background.



Another view of the mountain Velez in the distance, taken before we returned to the car, and drove further into the plains, closer to the mountain itself.


 End of Part One
To be continued...

I hope you enjoyed these landscapes, as I am very pleased with the images I took this day. I think you will definitely enjoy the other parts to come. Thanks for stopping by.

23 comments:

  1. amazing skies, and the mountain in the background is beautiful... that was some strong winds to blow your tripod around... i can understand the keep driving... with those views i would have to

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The views just kept on getting better and better. But more on that in parts two and three. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful views and dramatic skies. You live in a lovely country.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's just the way I imagined. Thanks for showing us with the wonderful pictures. I have to admit I'd love to know about the pyramid...

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the rugged terrain and even more rugged-looking skies! thanks for braving the wind!

    i wonder if that concrete pyramid is some sort of survey or plat marker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could be. I need to ask around, and maybe I can give you some answers in the parts that'll follow.

      Delete
  5. It is a rugged looking place and so beautiful!! I'm curious about the concrete pyramid also! Terrific captures as always, Mersad!! Thanks for sharing! I hope you have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, you live in some beautiful countryside...The clouds are so moody and threatening looking, but add so much to your photos. These are great, Mersad and thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. At times those clouds look a little 'angry'. Most effective and beautiful captures. Love the shape of that snow covered mountain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cloud above the snow covered mountain got to me too. And what's funny, I didn't even notice it while shooting. Only later in editing I saw the heavy cloud drifting above the mountain.

      Delete
  8. Hello Mersad, very pretty landscapes.I love the dramatic skies and clouds. Awesome post and photos. Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning country! The second and fifth photos are fantastic and my favorites! The scenery is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, yes I did enjoy those landscapes! So beautiful! Thank you for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stunning scenery and dramatic skies! Very beautiful photos! Looking forward to the next ones.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dramatic landscapes! Those are impressive clouds.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great place for a photographer, the landscape and moody skies made for some great pictures! Looking forward to the next parts in this series.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a wonderful place. The stone sculpture looks like a cairn we have them to mark pathways.
    Very good pictures as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful barren landscape with exiting skies and obviously, winds as well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sehr schöne Landschaftsbilder, hauptsächlich mit dem schneebedeckten Berg im Hintergrund. LG

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful photos, thanks for the tour! Both the mountains and the skies are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great pictures! But it looks COLD!
    ROG, ABCW

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mersad, the landscape is impressive. It looks soooo cold there with the snow and wind all at once. Beautiful photos. Thank you for venturing up there to take pictures. Christa

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can almost feel the wind whipping around up there.

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe

Image Credits

All Rights are Reserved. The images may not be reproduced, copied, transmitted or manipulated without the written permission of the author.