Tuesday, May 27, 2014

A Hot Day in the Old Town of Mostar

Even though the calender summer is a bit down the road, the temperatures here in Mostar, have certainly been acting like it's June 21st already. I had my friends Berina and Adi visiting me this past weekend, and we went exploring the Old town of Mostar in the heat.

We started around 11:00 o'clock and it was already burning outside. Still, a lot of tourists were roaming the streets. You have seen some parts of the old town of Mostar before on this blog, but in this post I will also be showing new sights. Come along with us...

click on the images for a bigger view

A view of the renovated "Old Bridge". The original bridge was commissioned by Suleiman the Magnificent in 1557 to replace an older wooden suspension bridge of dubious stability. Construction began in 1557 and took nine years.


The Koski Mehmed Paša Mosque, built in 1617 is open to visitors. Visitors may enter the mosque and take photos free of charge. The minaret is also open to the public and is accessible from inside the mosque. We visited the premises later on and made some images there as well.



Mostar is know for a diving festival, that is held each year in mid June. Now, as I was gazing down from the Old bridge, I saw a canoeist peddling along the river. 




Little is known of the building of the bridge, and all that has been preserved in writing are memories and legends and the name of the builder, Mimar Hayruddin. Charged under pain of death to construct a bridge of such unprecedented dimensions, the architect reportedly prepared for his own funeral on the day the scaffolding was finally removed from the completed structure. Upon its completion it was the widest man-made arch in the world. 




The next two shots were taken on the premises of the Koski Mehmed Paša Mosque. The most attractive part of the mosque complex is the small courtyard outside with its fountain taps and garden area.




Thanks for visiting. I hope you enjoyed the new sights from the Old Town of Mostar.

37 comments:

  1. Beautiful....too bad it's all too hot already.
    I must say tho, I love how you intermingle the 'human' aspect in your photo tours! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has cooled down in the meantime, but the heat will return soon, no doubt.

      Delete
  2. Wunderschön, da muß ich auch mal unbedingt hin. LG

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed them. Beautiful compositions. The images look a bit soft at the edges though. What lens are you using?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hm...I don't really see anything soft. Can you point out what you mean? I used my 50mm1.8, with almost all (but 2 and 5) shot with f11.

      Delete
    2. That's what I use Mersad #2 I thought you had a camera problem but I am an idiot. Nothing wrong at all. Many sorrys.

      Delete
  4. I can tell you I have never been to your blog that i did not enjoy the photos...I am glad I found you to take me on a world wide tour from my rocking chair... I like that minaret a lot... the bridge is amazing

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that old bridge. Nice photos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. it's really beautiful. the bridge is great. loved the 2nd photo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful captures as always, Mersad! A lovely little town indeed and your shot of the bridge is superb and I, too, love your second shot!! Thanks for sharing the day with us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This old Town is so lovely, Your shots so nice
    ciao
    Stefano

    ReplyDelete
  9. These photos are perfectly wonderful! They look like they should be in National Geographic or some travel magazine. And the last one is a proper ending. I have never heard of this place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ginny. Really glad you enjoyed them.

      Delete
  10. That bridge is really something - I always enjoy taking your photographic tours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mona. I love reading your comments, and see how you like it.

      Delete
  11. Thanks for the great trip in the Old Town of Mostar! Beautiful pictures , as usually!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I saw a lake that was that deep green color in British Columbia, Canada just off the alcan hiway. Once you see water that color you never forget. Your photos are marvelous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The green color comes from algae that lie in the water bed.

      Delete
  13. oh my goodness, as always, super images!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The water color is gorgeous! And the bridge is very nice!

    I'm the happy owner of a new 6D. I'm very pleased with the results thus far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy you got it. I wish you lots of luck with it and many, many pictures. I hope that the images here were an incentive as well.

      Delete
    2. Actually, yes, your photos here were a big part of my decision to go with the 6D. I prefer to carry two bodies, one for wildlife and one for landscapes/still life, as opposed to changing lenses constantly. I got the 6D for landscapes/still life after seeing your photos here and others in photography forums. Thanks, Mersad!

      Delete
  15. Such a very beautiful place!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice group of pictures. Many centuries of history in Mostar, looks like an excellent place to go with a camera!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jedan od najdrazih gradova u BiH; obavezno svratimo prema putu na more. Zelena boja Neretve je neponovljivo unikatna!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the river scene, Mersad, and the bridge is something else... it certainly has the wow factor. Another shot I liked was the view of the people shopping in what looking like a market place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the Old Town bazaar, and there you can find lots of souvenirs as well as paintings.

      Delete
  19. Such a beautiful and historic place. I didn't know that about the bridge either.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh yes I did very much enjoy the sights here. The story of that awesome looking bridge was so interesting and tragic. Also that water is so green, it was mesmerizing. You always have such wonderful photos, I get to travel to places I'd never see through amazing photographers like you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mostar... I've so many heared about it (but that was bad news - )... Now I see: is's a lovely old town!
    Thanks for sharing the beautiful photos :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Old Mostar is fascinating! I loved the bridge story, and your photos are wonderful, Mersad. I'd love to visit your part of the world some time. I just found out we have a Bosnian restaurant here in Tucson. I will definitely be going!

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe

Image Credits

All Rights are Reserved. The images may not be reproduced, copied, transmitted or manipulated without the written permission of the author.