Thursday, May 8, 2014

Remains of the Past [Part 3/5]: Plains and Mountains of Herzegovina

It seemed as if the weather would never brighten up, as we drove up the hills. After having left the village of Krusevljani, we moved on, in our journey of discovery. The next destination proved to be much more cheerful, then the last.

The wide plains and mountains we saw from these hills were magnificent. The dark clouds added a great touch of drama to the landscape shots.

But in order for you to really appreciate the uniqueness and grandeur of these shots, you have to know that southeast and southwest Herzegovina isn't really known for these types of landscapes. The dominant formations in these regions are called "krs" which are stone heavy, barren and dry. That's why these lusgh greens and wide fields surprised us.

In the next part we will visit an abandoned school, right on the main road we were traveling on.

This is a multi-part series. Other parts include:
Part One:
The Drive East

Part Two:
Inside the Village

Part Three:
Plains and Mountains of Herzegovina
Part Four:
The Abandoned School
Part Five:
Goodbye to the Past
 
click on the images for a bigger view
We were on the top of a hill, which had these really wide fields of green grass, and in the middle of it, lone trees were gracing the surroundings.


The small road we were traveling on continued into the mountains. There are no more villages further into the hills, but my guess is that this small road, connects so the main road.




I have written about dramatic black and white landscapes before (click here for the tutorial). I used this next image for a black and white edit.



The weather was turning really bad. In fact a rain shower surprised us 30 minutes later. Luckily, by then, we were already in the car, driving to the next stop. If you look closely you can actually see the rain falling in the distance.



A shot of the plains and fields we were traveling on. You can see the road we were driving on far away by the mountain slopes.




One of my personal favorites is this next image. The trees offered up a great shelter from the wind that was blowing. I loved the sound of the wind against the grass and leaves in the trees.



We eventually hiked back to our car. The wind was growing stronger up here.





We left the colorful and dramatic landscapes behind us.


As we were driving through the village from part two, back to the main road, we came across these very old grave stones, probably dating back to the Ottoman Empire. It was a true reminder of how old these parts of the country are.


End of Part Three
To be continued...

Thanks so much for visiting. I am really glad that this series seems to have hit the spot for you. I hope you will enjoy the next part as well. We will visit an abandoned school. But it's a very unusual and rural one, and a type you may have not seen before




33 comments:

  1. AnonymousMay 08, 2014

    Mersad, I love your tours. The clouds really made for dramatic images and the black and white conversion is excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful landscapes and dramatic skies! It's so green there!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those dramatic skies. They add such intensity to the photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really do. Glad you enjoyed them!

      Delete
  4. This is one of a few experiences of mine to see the landscape of Herzegovina. Weather looks unnerving but the sky looks dramatic and plains and mountains look so rich and beautiful. I felt like that I heard the sound of the wind.

    Thank you for joining my blog. I’ll keep up with your blog. Since my first visit to this blog, I’m charmed by your touch of photography. As I’m taking care of and watching over my old ailing mother, I don’t have enough time to computer but when I have time, I’ll visit and scroll down.

    Yoko

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you again for your kind comment. I am so glad you have enjoyed this. All the best to you and your mother.

      Delete
  5. You know Mersad I was just thinking...the funny thing about blogging is that after looking at countless photos of a place, OR reading about it- you begin to feel as if you've been there...
    Thank you for this tour. I know it's a trifle of what a whole country is all about, but you seem to be able to pull the reader/viewer in with your photography. It's an art, and it's genius.

    Happy Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the compliment. I am really working hard on the presentation of the images, and the way the story is crafted. I always hope to engage people into these worlds, even though they are not familiar with them.

      Delete
  6. The landscapes shots are marvelous ~ such beauty !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some fabulous pictures here, Mersad!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful, breathtaking captures as always, Mersad!! I do love the stormy skies and the mountains! Such terrific composition!! Thanks for sharing the beauty! Looking forward to your next post in the series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your continued support.

      Delete
  9. The weather may be showery but it does create dramatic light.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually also like the clouds and the light. Bright blue skies wouldn't have worked with the mood I was going for :)

      Delete
  10. Beautiful landscape, i love that sky
    Ciao
    Stefano

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stunning landscape photos, including your b&w one. Dramatic sky and mountains to set off the green valleys. I see your traveling companions are wearing red, the perfect color for photos.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The slope of so many of the hills is the real focal point of the photos for me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very interesting tour, fabulous scenery, glad you are sharing it on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I'm glad you are enjoying it :)

      Delete
  14. Hallo Mersad,

    ja so trocken sieht die Landschaft wirklich nicht aus und das saftige Grün scheint dem grauen Himmel sogar noch zusätzlich trotzen zu wollen. Die Landschaft hätte ich wirklich nicht mit Herzegovina verbunden. Mein erster Eindruck war die von meiner Zeit in Slowenien - die weiten Gebirgszüge sind dort auch sehr charakteristisch.

    Liebe Grüße von Senna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Da hast Du den Nagel auf den Kopf getroffen. Slowenien hat ähnliche Landschaftsbilder. Ist ja auch nicht so weit weg von hier :)

      Delete
  15. Very impressive landscape! Beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Die unterschiedlichen grünen Farben wirken super toll auf den Fotos! LG

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can't get over how beautiful it is there!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It amazes me that parts of your world look like many parts of my world. Love your photos Mesad!

    ReplyDelete
  19. These images are wonderfully dramatic, Mersad. Good work.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What amazingly beautiful country. Those mountains in the background are stunning. I also loved the shot of the women in the red shirts, they stood out against the background so nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  21. There's a softness and at the same time a harshness about the countryside that I find fascinating. It makes for great images and the dramatic sky and the light it throws add to the beauty. A beautiful place!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Mersad, Photo #9 is my favorite. The depth in that photo is so real that I feel as if I am there looking at the landscape myself. Do you have a tutorial for how to give your photo a three dimensional feel? Christa

    ReplyDelete
  23. I really love your style! It is amazing how countries in Europe can maintain even the simplest historical sight like the graveyard. In countries with a big population and land is very important, that would not have been still remaining till now, just like in my country!

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe

Image Credits

All Rights are Reserved. The images may not be reproduced, copied, transmitted or manipulated without the written permission of the author.