When summer rolls around baking goes out of the window mostly. You simply don't want to fiddle about in the kitchen or heat the oven. I'm personally more concentrated on making cold treats (more of which you will see in the upcoming posts), but this cake is the exception to the rule. It's easy to make, uses fresh seasonal fruit and there isn't a lot of work around it. Actually you simply make the batter and lay the fruit on top and bake it in the oven. Doesn't get simpler then that.
The end result is a melting and soft vanilla cake layer and a fresh tasting fruit layer on top. This cake comes highly recommended and is modified from a recipe by Laura Vitale. I hope you will enjoy it, it was gone within two days in our house!
Peach and Blueberry Coffee Cake
Ingredients:500 gr (2-1/4 cups) of all purpose flour
115 gr (1/2 cup) of butter, unsalted
150 gr (3/4 cup) of sugar
1/2 tsp of salt
2 tsp of baking powder
1/2 tsp of baking soda
1 tbsp of vanilla extract
115 gr (1/2 cup) of sour cream
350 ml (1-1/2 cups) of milk
175 gr (1 cup) of fresh blueberries
2-3 large fresh peaches, cut into slices
2 tbsp of vanilla sugar
1. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius / 350 degrees Fahrenheit, and grease a 9 inch non-stick spring form pan and set aside.
2. In a bowl, mix together the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda, set aside.
3. In a bowl using a spatula, cream together the sugar and butter until combined, add the eggs and vanilla and using a whisk, whisk everything until well combined, add the sour cream and continue to mix until it’s incorporated.
4. Add the dry ingredients along with the milk, and mix until your batter is smooth.
5. Top with the slices of peaches and blueberries and sprinkle some vanilla sugar over the top.