Sunday, September 13, 2015

Late Summer in Our Garden

While summer is not completely gone yet, you can feel it fading slowly away. In Mostar at least the days are enjoyably warm the mornings and evenings fresh. It's a perfect time of the year in my opinion. The summer heat often hiders you from going out, but now, we can finally enjoy the outsides. I haven't done a garden update in a while, I think the last time I posted about it was in late spring. That's why for today's post I welcome you again into our little garden to find out what has changed...

click on the images for a bigger view


The early Sunday morning has Beni lounging on the front terrace, soaking in the rays of the sun. With his new chew toy beside him, he occasionally lifts his head up to see what I am doing. After a few glances he is back to sleeping in the sun.


The tangerines are still green, waiting for fall to ripen completely. Last year we had a couple of them, this year it seems like there will be more. I really love their sweet citrus juices.


We had a lot of lavender throughout the summer. It's one of those plants that just loves heat, so there was no beating it. Of course I had to regularly water all the plants in order for them to survive the agonizing heat of summer. We use lavender for all sorts of things. They are good repellents of mosquitoes, give fresh scent to your clothing and repel bugs (just put some in a cloth bag and hang it in your closet).


Roses have been coming and going since spring. The latest batch of them has a rather wonderful deep red color. We leave it on the bushes, but also pluck them and put in vases throughout the house.


Our fig trees have had a grow spurt since spring. We even ate our first figs from them, and they were just delicious. They have been crowding the backside of the garden, and we will trim them when winter approaches.



Our orange and lemon trees are still growing nicely, but aren't showing any fruits yet. Last year they bloomed in late autumn, so there is still hope.


Mint is always there, and I don't think we could get rid of it even if we wanted to at this point :) We use it for cooking mostly, but it's also nice to see in a vase, you can pluck at it when needed. We also grow herbs like oregano, basil and rosemary. But I didn't get any shots of them.


Even though the leaves have turned brown in this one spot, it hasn't really stopped the kiwi from growing. We are still waiting for them to plump up and become big and juicy.


Those would be all the sights from our home for now. Sunday goes on, lots of chores are waiting for me, so Beni and I are off for now...



I wish everybody a great Sunday, and please come back tomorrow for an all new edition of the photo meme "Through My Lens"


29 comments:

  1. You have a lovely little garden... thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a nice garden!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Mersad, you have a beautiful home and lovely garden. And I love the peeps of Beni, he is so cute. Wonderful images. Have a happy day and new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  4. not only is your garden beautiful but is is also delicious... Beni adds to the beauty. i love all citrus and kiwi to... thanks for the wander through your garden, have a wonderful rest of Sunday

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your home and its environs are so lovely. How wonderful to have fresh fruit and herbs at your fignertips. And thanks for the information about lavender- I didn't know much about it expcept its fragrance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, beautiful and delicious it is indeed, Mersad!! Thanks for a wonderful stroll through your garden and, of course, I always love to see Beni!! He is adorable indeed and he reminds me of how much I miss my Sam Schnauzer!! I hope you have a great new week!! Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What lovely photos...your home and garden both are very beautiful...and the cutest dog I've ever seen. Thanks so much for sharing all this.
    Here from Shadow Shot....

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely garden. And, so sweet to see Beni enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ich liebe ja solche Fressgärten ;-D! Toll wie alles langsam einwuchert! Ach und mit der Minze, ja, das ist die Hölle. Einmal in der Erde wirste die nie wieder los. Schlimmer als Bambus ;-D! GlG Anne

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice shots! The rose is quite beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful garden you have. All those fruit trees - made my mouth water.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice! I love that red red rose!"

    ReplyDelete
  13. These glimpses of your home and garden are lovely. I like putting mint into vases and keeping it in the house, too. Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a beautiful garden. Lovely shots Mersad

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ilove your gaarden with not only fruit in it but lovely flowers. The re Rose is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Es ist ein Traumhaus mit einem Traumgarten.
    darf ich zugeben, daß ich darauf neidisch bin?
    Ich werde sowas nie haben, allerdings gehört trotzdem zu meinen großen Träumen.
    Liebe Grüße

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sadly summer is well and truly gone here in the UK and I am mourning its passing

    Mollyxxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like a place that would soothe the senses. Nice shots.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your house and garden is so beautiful. I've never seen kiwi growing before so that is a special treat. I love all the mint and other herbs. You are lucky to live in a climate where you can grow so many things.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow. Amazing!
    Hope you'll link up at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2015/09/nighttime-paddle-on-jordan-lake.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great photos and Beni looks very comfortable on your pretty terrace. Thank you so much for sharing with Today's Flowers and I wish you a very happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love how Beni occupies your mind and camera there. Your house seems so airy and comfortable, is this already the new one. I also love the promise of the area with the mountain peeping a bit in one photo, seems so exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Mersad. (My blogging is a bit erratic these days-the eye problem still). But I love this post. You have a beautiful yard and home. Very nice photos as always.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hello Mersad.... You do have a lovely garden. I could only hope to have any kind of fruit trees here. But I have to stick to those that can stand a cold winter. Always nice to see Beni..... Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your garden is absolutely gorgeous. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your garden is lovely! I adore lavender. I have a very small lemon tree that is very healthy and growing in a pot. It has a couple of caterpillars feeding on it's few leaves...a Giant Swallowtail caterpillar which I am hoping will become a chrysalis or two and then a butterfly or two but I am having to watch and make sure they don't decimate the poor little tree of all its leaves!

    ReplyDelete
  27. You are lucky to have a late summer ! We had summer and then suddenly it was cold ! No time to get used to ! Beautiful pictures !

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe

Image Credits

All Rights are Reserved. The images may not be reproduced, copied, transmitted or manipulated without the written permission of the author.