Wednesday, September 9, 2015

5 Mountains in Bosnia and Herzegovina You Have to Explore

Bosnia and Herzegovina is a country known for its natural beauty. Especially when it comes to mountains these regions are rich with forests, resorts and opportunities to discover real gems. I could write many posts on this subject and would probably come up with new mountains to show you each time, but as it is I want to concentrate on the most popular ones as well as those who bring in the most visitors. I have written before about the Top 10 Places you must visit in Bosnia and Herzegovina, and have mentioned mountains there, but in this post I want to go a bit further.


Some of these places have extended posts on this blog which tell you more if you are interested, and I have provided those links where appropriate.

So here are my choices for 5 Mountains in Bosnia and Herzegovina You Have to Explore

1. Jahorina


Mountain Jahorina hosted the women's alpine skiing events of the 1984 Winter Olympics and is still a very popular mountain today. Located only 30 km (19 miles) from the capital city Sarajevo, Jahorina has great resorts and hotels where you can spend you time and have a starting point to explore the region. The Jahorina Olympic Ski Resort is the biggest and most popular ski-resort in Bosnia and Herzegovina and offers a variety of outdoor sports and activities all of which are listed on the website (in English as well). Beware to ski only on marked courses here.


2. Bjelasnica


Bjelasnica, as a counterpart to Jahornia hosted the men's alpine skiing events of the 1984 Winter Olympics where US skier Bill Johnson won a gold medal for skiing as the first American male. When it comes to skiing Bjelasnica can't be beat. There are numerous skiing paths, ski lifts as well as resorts. Visit the official webpage for more info on events. If you are more into exploring nature and history, try visiting the old village Lukomir (image above this text), but take not that the roads are only open in late spring, summer and early autumn. The village is situated in the municipality of Konjic and is the highest altitude and most remote village in the entire country. The homes in the area are made of stone while their roofs are composed of wooden tiles.


3. Rujiste


Rujiste Mountain is very close to Mostar and I have visited it numerous times and written about it on this blog. It's not as well known as the other mountains shown here, but there is a lot to see here. You can find the "Snow House" there, a motel and restaurant on top of the mountain. From there take a hike into the valley, or drive into the village Zijemlje for some authentic countryside charm. All within 30 minutes from Mostar. A really great, mostly unexplored spot by tourists.


4. Vlasic


Vlasic is a mountain in the very center of Bosnia and Herzegovina. Its highest peak is at the elevation of 1,943 m. It is famous for its pastures, cattle-breeding and cheese. It is closest to the town of Travnik, which it overlooks. The mountain is a major center for winter tourism due to its excellent accommodation for skiing, snowboarding and other winter sports. It is also a popular destination for summer and eco tourism with many hiking trails and undisturbed wilderness areas. More information can be found on the official website.


5. Prenj


The Prenj mountain is not a specific place, but rather a mountain range with various destinations  to be discovered. The best ones are Boracko Lake, which I have shown you before on this blog, is snuggled in between Prenj, Bjelasnica and Visocica mountains. The lake is open to the public for camping, swimming and BBQs. The best spot is across the lake by the restaurant where you will find a great freshwater stream and plenty of shade. Entry to the lake costs 2 KM (1.14 $) which you only have to pay during the summer season. Another great visitors spot it Glavaticevo. The picture above shows a hike to the spring of the river Sanica, but I guess that's one of those hidden places not shown in any guide books.


I hope you enjoyed this mountain tour of Bosnia and Herzegovina.

44 comments:

  1. Goodmorning Mersad

    Wonderful pictures again.... a little journey to a place i have not been yet but maybe someday will... (i hope)


    Have a nice day!
    ♫ Mel☺dy ♫ (abc-w-team)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do get a chance to visit one day. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  2. Fabulous photos of the mountains in Bosnia. What a wonderful area !
    Best regards, Synnöve

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos, Mersad.
    Thanks for being a regular visitor to image-in-ing and for joining in at this week's linkup at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2015/09/allium-glorious.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOWO those are beautiful pics of majestic mountains ...

    Bikram's

    ReplyDelete
  5. The mountains really are spectacular. I would love to visit all of them. As for the pictures, I liked the one you showed of Jahorina. It looks like Fairyland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jahorina is really gorgeous. My parents just came back from a prolonged weekend trip to a resort there. They were really struck by the beauty.

      Delete
  6. Ohhh diese Winterfotos! Die Landschaft sieht ja schon im Sommer toll aus aber mit Schnee....woohooo. Und Ski fahren kann man da ja auch! Warum bin ich da nur noch nie früher drauf gekommen. Das wäre doch mal ein Ziel! GlG Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Das wäre es definitiv Anne! Winter und Sommer sind toll hier in den Bergen.

      Delete
  7. What can I say other than gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW!! Spectacular mountains...definitely would love to visit someday! Thanks for sharing and have a great day!

    Shantana

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous, Mersad, and I do love the snow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello mersad, lovely images and these gorgeous mountain views. They are stunning. Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Delightful photography Mersad and interesting information too,

    Thanks for sharing you beautiful country with us,
    Correct me if I'm INCORRECT but, as it's ABCW I can't see the connection to the subject letter 'I' , have I missed something?
    I do apologise if I have...
    Best wishes.
    Di.
    ABCW team.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I is for Incline ;) I have written it up on the ABC site. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
    2. Hi Mersad,
      Got it now I for Incline!
      very good and my apologies again xx Di,xx

      Delete
  12. Lovely landscapes images, it is beautiful there!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You represent your country well, Mersad. Your images, as always, are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have spectacular mountain photos. These mountains are just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is my personal opinion that you are a fantastic photographer. I love that snow covered Jahorina, and every photo is perfect, the golden light on the mountain top, the tall trees. just gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would love to ski some of those gorgeous mountains!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your photos are always so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful mountains! I love your first photo with snow.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The ski slope photo in the beginning is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've already forgotten how to spell the second mountain---- But what an incredible picture! Well done, Mersad.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Every single photo could be on the cover of a travel magazine. Stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  22. These are lovely mountains.
    ROG, ABCW

    ReplyDelete
  23. Koju god planinu da izabereš, nećeš pogriješiti. :) Na ovaj spisak bih dodao svakako Zelengoru i Maglić.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Mersad, The Mountain in Bosnia are stunning as are all these images

    ReplyDelete
  25. Absolutely stunning scenery

    Mollyxxx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your photos make me wish I lived in a mountainous area. In comparison, the area around Toronto is very flat!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Gorgeous sites and gorgeous photography!

    Happy Weekend to you,
    artmusedog and carol

    ReplyDelete
  28. I would love to explore those gorgeous mountains! Someday.....

    ReplyDelete
  29. You really make me want to visit! Love these and those mountains have such majesty!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I feel as if I've been to the mountains this morning. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wunderschöne Berge! Ich gestehe ja, dass ich mir Berge ja lieber von unten ansehe, aber diese Berge sind auf jeden Fall sehenswert!!! Großartige Fotos!
    Hab noch einen schönen Sonntag!

    ReplyDelete
  32. That first picture of Bjelasnica is just awe inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  33. All of these amazing mountains are just breath-taking! Wow! Such beautiful photos, Mersad....tempting for anyone heading to Europe and wanting to see breath-taking cenery, for sure!

    I was away on a short vacation and then four days after we got home my computer crashed. It has taken me a while to get things going again. I look forward to doing Through My Lens this week. Hope you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  34. really nice article but if you want to know about top five mountains of world and nepal then visit here top five mountains of world

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe

Image Credits

All Rights are Reserved. The images may not be reproduced, copied, transmitted or manipulated without the written permission of the author.