Monday, October 22, 2018

Fall in Bosnia [Part 1/3]: Visiting Busko Blato

Last week I promised to start with a new travel series on this blog, but because the week was filled with editing the photos, I didn't have time to sit down and write the words. So for this week I thought I'd start with the travel series and combine it with a new edition of "Through My Lens". At the end of the post you will still be able to share your photos. But before that let me take you on a Bosnian fall adventure. In these three parts I will take you along on a journey through places I haven't had the chance to visit before.

In part one we will show you the Busko Blato Lake. The lake is situated along the border with Croatia and the Dalmatian hinterland, at the point where Bosnia and Herzegovina and Dalmatia, the Mediterranean, continental and moderate climate intersect at an altitude of 700 meters above sea level.

This is part one of a three part road trip series:


Eco Village Grabovica

The first stop on out journey is the Eco Village Grabovica. Here you can experience the genuine natural beauty of the Busko Lake and residents hospitality and spend an active vacation in the beautiful landscape of the rural idyll. The food here is exceptionally great (we had the stone oven pizzas) and you will find accommodation here as well. It is probably the only place along the lake shores where you can stay. It is a good place to explore the area from.






Inside the eco village you can also find horse stalls with horses that you can either ride or watch as the roam the area freely. From this point you can also take a good look at the Busko Blato lake, where we would drive to next.






On the shorelines of Busko Blato

Busko Blato (blato meaning 'mud' or 'swamp' in bosnian language) was essentially farmland up until 1974 when it was converted into a lake. The hydroelectric power plant system was conceived mainly to provide electricity for the Dalmatian coastline and further development of tourism. The lake is located on the border between Bosnia, Dalmatia and Herzegovina, so its natural position and climatic conditions are the reasons why it attracts so many tourists. An interesting history of this region has left numerous archaeological sites, numerous ruins of the Illyrian and Roman times, many artifacts and cemeteries with many tombstones.


The hills and mountains surrounding the lake allow visitors to climb them and have a vacation in mountain cottages. The actual lake is elevated 716 m above sea level, has an area of 55.8 square kilometars and a total volume of 782 million cubic meters. The total area of Busko Blato makes it one of the largest accumulation lakes in all of Europe. It abounds in fish and it is the home to endemic species Dalmatian Barbelgudgeon, minnow-nase and European chub, whereas hunting for catfish has become particularly popular in recent years.






End of Part One
To be continued...



Thank you all for joining me in another week of "Through My Lens". I am looking forward to your submissions this week. I hope you will have a good one!

Now I want to see what you have been up to. Link down below and share with the rest of us!

What "Through my lens" is about

This meme is about sharing your favorite blog post with the rest of us. The themes are open, there is only one rule: the images have to be taken by you. I want to see your photography!

How this Photo meme Works

1. Share your favorite post under the linkup button below and follow the instructions there
2. Only share the url of your post, not the url of your main page
3. In your post link back to this post of "Through my lens" and visit others!



Please share this link-up with the image below.  
 
Or simply copy/paste this code in the HTML of your post

 





17 comments:

  1. A nice tour of this spot--- I can see why the tourists like it. Save me a slice of pizza!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to actually go back and insert a shot of that pizza. It was very delicious!

      Delete
  2. Fabulous post Mersad. Love the scenery and those gorgeous horses. Unfortunately for some reason I cannot get the LINK to work Can you link me in please. Thanks for hosting and have a wonderful week ahead

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linked you in. Thanks for visiting. :)

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful place. Would be fun to take a ride an explore the spots.

    Wishing you a good start into the new week I am sending greetings over to your place

    N☼va

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bosnian fall looks beautiful in your pictures. I'm happy there is more to come :-)
    Thank you for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Klara, yes parts 2 and 3 coming this week!

      Delete
  5. Loved the beautiful post. Amazing place.
    Stunning pics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful scenes! I like the horses, too!
    Thanks for hosting Through My Lens
    Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What beautiful horses and picturesque shoreline! I know photos editing talkes a lot of time, but worth thr effort!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks very rustic and laidback - lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Ecolodge looks wonderful. The long set table is so long that it looks like one of those optical illusions using a mirror to extend the length. I sympathise with you on finding the time to do all those blog tasks and edit the photos. I, too, have a backlog of editing work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful scenery! Thanks for hosting Through My Lens!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You go to the coolest places. Thanks for hosting and I hope that you have a wonderful week. Beautiful pics.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Usually, I never comment on blogs but your article is so convincing that I never stop myself to say something about it. You’re doing a great job Man. Best article I have ever read

    Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe

Image Credits

All Rights are Reserved. The images may not be reproduced, copied, transmitted or manipulated without the written permission of the author.