Friday, October 10, 2014

Cherry Strudel Recipe

At the beginning of the week I posted a Greek Baklava Recipe that we made recently. On the same day my friend Selma also baked a Cherry Strudel, which turned out to be very delicious. Since I had the making-of images from the baking session, I decided to post those images today.

If you scroll down to the end of the post you will find the complete recipe with measurements and instructions!


click on the images for a bigger view



You can use any cherries you like for this recipe. We used the cherries that come in jars. You need to drain the liquid they come in, before using.


The ingredients are few and basic. First you make up a paste that you will use later on to glue the sheets of Phillo dough together and to give some sweetness to the cherries.


Selma, happy about her business.


The technique of preparing the dough sheets. (More in the recipe at the end)



You make these individual rolls and put them on an oiled sheet.


A final layer of the semolina mixture goes on top.


Hot out of the oven! It's best eaten when it cools down.
Obviously we didn't wait :)



Cherry Strudel Recipe
Ingredients
For the filling

- 640 gr (5 and 1/3 cup) cherries, pitted
- 180 ml (3/4 cup) vegetable oil
- 360 ml (1 1/2 cup) sugar
- 540 ml (2 and 1/3 cup) firm yogurt
- 250 gr (1 cup) semolina
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp vanilla sugar
For the dough
- 1 package of Phyllo dough (in sheets)
Method
1. Preheat your oven to 200 C (400 F).
2. Drain the cherries if you are using the ones in jars, or defrost if using frozen ones. If you are using fresh, pit them. Set aside.
3. Combine the oil, sugar, vanilla sugar, yogurt, semolina and baking powder in a bowl. Stir together.
4. Lay one sheet of Phyllo dough in front of yourself and smear the semolina mixture all over the sheet. Take another sheet and lay it on top of the previous sheet. Put another layer of the semolina mixture on top of the second sheet. Take some cherries and put them vertically on either the left or right side of the sheet (see images above). From the part where the cherries are, roll the sheet of dough up, until you have a tube. But the tube onto a greased baking sheet. Repeat until you run out of cherries or semolina mixture (We ended up with six strudels)
5. When you assemble all the strudels on your tin, spread some of the semolina mixture on top (you should have some left)
6. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until golden brown on top. When it's cooled down you can sprinkle some powdered sugar on top for decoration.


Thank you all for stopping by. I hope you'll make this over the weekend. It's really delicious. We ate most of it before I had the chance to take more images of the finished dish. :)

What is your favorite sweet treat?

27 comments:

  1. Looks like the new kitchen is getting used well! Looks really good! My favorite treat is anything sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is. I'll be back with new landscape shots in the next posts though.

      Delete
  2. Das wäre was für mich, ich liebe alle Strudel (in Ungarn macht man es mit Mohn, Quark. Kürbis usw.) aber mit Kirschen am liebsten!!! Liebe Grüße

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well who could wait! Looks delicious. Thank you so much for sharing your recipe. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious !! just add some whipped cream :) or icecream !!! good food shot !
    Lily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Those would be great additions.

      Delete
  5. I could eat this.
    My favourite is Lemon cheese cake.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very berry delicious cherry strudel! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm looks delicious!! Going to have try this one, too!! Have a great weekend, Mersad!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my....if you really want this ol' gal to drool all over your blog post...post anything...and I'm saying ANYthing with cherries. Tart baking cherries...Mersad, you have made my day. This all looks so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum! Looks delicious. My favorite sweet is dark chocolate anything.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Selma makes it look so easy.....and delicious! Great job photographing the steps.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks delicious! I have not been able to photograph food. It always turns out looking funny.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks really yummy... You are lucky to have a wife that cooks so well !

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice photo story! Makes me hungry and I'm trying to cut back on sweets.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your cherry strudel looks delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe. Awesome food photos..have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks delicious, I have never cooked my cherries, they are eaten before I could rememebr to bake them

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice recipe again!; did you check out my banana recipe that I posted in your honor? Greetings from afar.

    ReplyDelete
  17. nešto slično je i http://vrtaljica.blogspot.com/2009/04/griz-strudla-od-visanja.html
    slike su ti odlične...kada bih znala "prepisati"?

    ReplyDelete
  18. The strudel looks so very delicious!!! Must try the recipe! Have a grand day! Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ooh, cherry strudel. It looks so wonderful. I don't think I have a favorite sweet treat, although I'm partial to anything chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  20. My mouth is watering. I love cherry anything! Thanks for the recipe. Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your strudel looks so appealing - and look how much the recipe made! I had apple strudel at a Hungarian restaurant recently and it was soggy, not flaky as I expected.
    Thanks for sharing your recipe and linking to Mosaic Monday Mersad.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yummu! Thank you for recipe! I need to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  23. very good looking, I have lots of cherries i grew

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe

Image Credits

All Rights are Reserved. The images may not be reproduced, copied, transmitted or manipulated without the written permission of the author.